Manage Your Own Remodeling Project –To Your Comfort Level
How is the Managed Renovations Process Different?
We’ve found that people want more control over their building and remodeling projects—without the responsibility of knowing all the building industry ins and outs—and this is possible through Managed Renovations.
Managed Renovations provides our clients with professional construction management services in the Chevy Chase, Bethesda, and Washington DC areas. We empower our clients to act as their own general contractor in fact, but not function. Instead Managed Renovations connects clients with qualified, experienced, licensed, and insured subcontractors and tradesmen with the knowledge, ability, and resources to renovate and/or add new space to their home (or even to build a new home). We create the contractual agreements between the client and subcontractors/tradesmen which include job-specific statements of work, payment milestones, etc.
You can take charge of certain aspects of your building project to your own comfort level. We manage the actual construction process while you choose your own level of involvement in the selection, purchasing, and scheduling of the allowance materials that will be used in your project. Whether you want to stay in contact frequently, or just check in occasionally, we have a polished process for bringing your new spaces to life.
- Managing your materials allowances saves money on our building services fees and gives you more control over your project. Unlike clients signed up with a GC, who may have no control over the actual cost for change orders, we provide our clients with full transparency of the direct costs for both required or requested change orders.
- To save you money, our building services fee for managing the tasks and materials needed to build your project are significantly lower than what a typical GC would charge. For a typical fixed price contract, a GC includes substantial overhead fees and profit margins that are not transparent to the homeowners, but that increase the cost of the project. Be assured that although we save you money through our construction management, we never cut corners on the project!
- Getting an excellent result for your home is our top priority, so you can have confidence in our quality workmanship. Through the entire construction process from beginning to completion, we schedule/manage/inspect it ourselves, ensuring it is built to our high standards. This way, you do not need to have oversight on your project’s execution: we put our industry expertise to work, making sure your home is completed the way it should be.
Key Ways That Our Construction Management Process Differs From General Contractors & Traditional Design/Build Firms.
- We arrange a predictable payment schedule that requires less money up front. Rather than paying a GC 25% to 30% of the total cost up front at contract signing, you pay subcontractors and tradesmen when they start work, and as they complete construction milestones.
- We’ve established years-long relationships with reliable, high quality subcontractors: we can save you 10-20% or more on labor because our building services fee structure for managing those contracted fixed-price services are significantly lower than the mark-up that a traditional general contractor will charge.
- We have cost-effective wholesale sources for all the materials used in your project (building supplies and allowance materials like fixtures, appliances, cabinets, tile, etc.), so we can save you 5-10% or more on materials!
- Keep in touch with us and stay involved in the building process from anywhere using our convenient, Cloud-based, project management software.
- We make sure your subcontractors stay on schedule, keep within your budget, and that their work is high quality.
- You have the control over whether you want to change out a subcontractor; they are contracted directly to you, and in the unlikely event that you’re not happy with them, you can terminate that subcontractor and select a different one. This is a benefit that is typically not available when working with a general contractor.
I hope you’ll contact me, Michael Shannon, if you have any questions about our services in the Chevy Chase, Bethesda, and Washington DC service areas. Contact Managed Renovations today if you want to get started on a kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, renovation, addition, and any other substantial renovation project!
What Do Our Clients Say About Us?
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Managed Renovations did a wonderful job with our kitchen and office renovation. Michael Shannon is knowledgeable and trustworthy. We liked working with Michael and his team, who took care to stage work to minimize disruption to us while efficiently delivering high quality construction. Managed Renovations deftly handled the complexity of our project, which…
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Michael and his team completely renovated our kitchen and put new siding on our house. They did a great job, and we are very happy with the end result. They were always easy to reach via phone or text. All of their subcontractors were friendly and knowledgeable. A project like this has the potential to cause a lot of stress, but they made the process as smooth as possible.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I really don’t want to tell anyone about how amazing managed renovations is, because I want them all to myself. In over 30 years and more than a half dozen houses, including major renovations and a complete build, I have never had a contractor I have relied on and believed in more. The company is both reliable and tasteful and fairly priced. They did renovations…
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Managed Renovations (Michael Shannon, owner) did a terrific job, replacing my deck and completely renovating my basement. What I most appreciated is that both he and his subcontractors made numerous suggestions regarding the design and installation that made the end result better than planned. All of Michael’s subcontractors were great, doing complete and high…
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Managed Renovations (MR) put together an excellent crew to handle the fairly extensive work involved in converting my brick garage into an interior room. It is already attached to the house, so no construction or demolition was necessary, except for removing the garage door and replacing it with a sliding glass patio door, which looks great!
MR also arranged to thoroughly insulate the walls, ceiling and floor, before installing drywall on the walls and ceiling, and sub-flooring, while being careful to ensure that the height of the…
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Michael and team did a superb renovation job. The work was completed under tight timelines and Michael is an expert in setting clear and realistic expectations and delivering on them. All the team were highly responsive. We feel that we got what we wanted whereas with most contractors you barely get what you pay for. The quality of the work was consistently high. An added bonus is that they were polite, respectful and enjoyable to work with.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Michael and Managed Renovations helped us with renovating a new house in Colonial Village. The work included a new kitchen, new master bath and closet, and various upgrades throughout the house. We had done some smaller projects with other contractors at our old house. Working with Michael was different for several reasons. Primarily, Michael…
We engaged Managed Renovations in 2007 to provide preliminary construction advice and then to act as our construction management consultant so we could effectively act as our own general contractor for the actual construction of our new home in Chevy Chase, Maryland. He was…